May 28, 2023
“The Appearance of Godliness”
Rev. Tyler Dirks
- False Humility
- Focused on The Wrong Thing
- In 2 Timothy 3 Paul says, “People will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, not loving good, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness but denying its power.” …Write out a one or two examples of how you have embodied each of these characteristics. Keep in mind that this exercise is not intended to make you feel bad about yourself, but rather it is aggressively aligned with your progress and joy in the faith of Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:25).
- What are the premiere snares of superficiality, consumerism, materialism, greed, and gluttony nowadays? (don’t think about what ensnares others, think about what ensnares you).
- What has an appearance of godliness, so you think, “This is really good! I’m gonna make this my main thing!” But – like the ephod in Gideon’s story, or circumcision in Paul’s letters – it become an unhealthy obsession for you?
- How are you specifically resolved and excited to forget what lies behind (your sins of forgetting God), and strain forward to what lies ahead – pressing on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus? (Philippians 3:13-14)